Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Every Day is Earth Day

It's Earth Day fellow consumers and hopefully people everywhere will take the time to think about what they might do to better the planet. I'm happy to be a part of an earth friendly sport like sailing and am proud of the world sailing community for it's devotion to environmental issues. Sailing isn't merely a sport, it's a mindset and a lifestyle that requires an interest in the mechanisms of the natural world. Because of this mindset we see sailors at the forefront of many environmental efforts, but there's always more that we can do as individuals and as a community.

Today is also the 40th anniversary of the first non-stop single-handed circumnavigation by Sir Robin Knox Johnson. He finished the Sunday Times Golden Globe race on April 22 1969 to worldwide acclaim. As one of the worlds most prominent and accomplished sailors he has also been an advocate for the marine environment.

Happy Earth Day.

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry but I cannot take you seriously as a sailor until you become a Jimmy Buffet fan. Until then you are a Fauxsailor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! No offense intended but the resemblance is uncanny...Sir Knox Johnson totally looks like an older version of you! Do you see it? It freaked me out when I saw this picture, because I thought you had really aged since the last time I saw you. Must be kindred spirits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm a fan of Jimmy Buffet. He's living the coolest life of all time. I'm just not into his music. Sorry parrothead.

    As for looking like RKJ, I'd be happy to look like that when I'm 70. I like the Old Man and the Sea thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my point. Buffett is SAILING music about sailors and the sea. The DEVIL music that you listen to just doesn't seem to relate to the peaceful, painfully slow pace of life that a sailor experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I decide to make a cliche'd YouTube video about sailing, I'll use a Jimmy Buffet song. And, I hardly ever listen to devil music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No then you should use Christopher Cross music. There is nothing cliche about Buffett and let's not forget he has been sailing longer than you have been alive, newby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your premise that all serious sailors have to like Jimmy Buffet music is like saying that all fans of his music have to be sailors. By your own reasoning you have to be a sailor.......you hate sailing. I'm sorry but I cannot take you serious as a motorhead if you listen to Jimmy Buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I have latent sailing tendencies that I have simply been denying for years. You will be the first to know if I come out of the closet. Or it is probably called, " the locker", or " the sea locker", or " the schlocker neath the focsil" in sea tongue.

    ReplyDelete