We have some structural issues. At the top of the list are the parts that keep the mast upright. It wouldn't be too swift to drop the mast in the water the first time out of the marina - or any other time for that matter. So, everything associated with the standing rigging is receiving extra attention. For example, there was a partial bulkhead in the middle of the cabin that, along with the keel trunk and cabinets, formed the anchor structure for the shrouds (there are no full height bulkheads). It was made of 3/4" marine plywood and it was wet and rotted. Since the tabbing was solid I removed only the plywood and filled the space with an epoxy/high density filler mixture. This created bolt flanges for new 1/2" aluminum bulkheads. I figured the added tensile strength of the aluminum would allow for a smaller and lower bulkhead - which will make it easier to move around the forward part of the cabin. This has also provided another opportunity for aesthetic improvement.
This shows the plywood bulkhead on the starboard side after being cut down. The red dashed line indicates it's original shape and height. You can also see that portions of cabinet top and sides have been cut away. Since the cabinet adds rigidity to the chainplate anchor points - something will have to be added to compensate for the loss of plywood. I'll cover that in a future post.
This shows the new aluminum bulkhead compared to the line of the old one.
The complete aluminum bulkhead. I couldn't cut 1/2" aluminum plate with my saber saw so each side consists of two layers of 1/4" plate - etched and laminated together with West System Epoxy.